Research Assistant (m/w/d)
The CISPA Helmholtz Center for Information Security provides a unique work environment that offers the advantages of a university department and a research laboratory alike. As the latest member of the Helmholtz Association, the largest research organization in Germany, CISPA has embarked on a mission: to rethink the digitalized world of the future from the ground up and make it safer through innovative cutting-edge research. In the medium term, the center will grow to more than 800 employees with 60 Faculty and research group leaders. Faculty receive extremely competitive institutional funding, enjoy academic freedom, and build and lead their team of young researchers, and are granted the opportunity to teach graduate and undergraduate courses.
CISPA is located in Saarbrücken, in the tri-border area of Germany, France, and Luxembourg. We maintain an international and diverse work environment and seek applications from outstanding researchers worldwide. The working language is English. A command of German is not required for a successful career at CISPA.
Empirical Research Support Team
We, the Empirical Research Support Group at CISPA, are looking for a research assistant with technical skills. We work closely with other departments within CISPA to conduct empirical research in the area of cybersecurity. For instance, we seek to better understand why people tend to use weak passwords and how they use and react to more modern authentication mechanisms. We want you to help us conduct this research.
We are currently running the following projects you can help with:
- Building a database over Wordpress installations and their versions in Germany. For this project you will be concerned with building a web crawler to identify Wordpress installations and their version numbers. These information will be collected regularly over time (e.g. using cron, Docker, etc.) and stored in a growing database. Development will take place on the CISPA-Gitlab instance
- Developing an existing crawler further, in collaboration with another research assistant, to collect information from the Google PlayStore and the Apple Appstore about apps and their reviews. Again, the goal is to collect data over time and save them in a database. Due to the vast amount of data, smart ways to store the data are crucial
- Implementing an eye-tracking solution using Apple’s Face-ID. Thus, you will develop a basic iOS app to deploy studies on mobile devices and to gather information on eye movements of participants
- Setting up project home pages (e.g. using Gitlab pages) for our studies
- You are an enrolled student at a university
- You are interested in working with an inter-disciplinary team on cybersecurity research topics
- You are motivated to familiarize yourself with new working areas and you are used to work independently
You have a background in computer science, cybersecurity, or a related field
- CISPA maintains an open, international and diverse work environment
- An in-depth dive into scientific research in general and the field of cybersecurity in particular
- Payment according to the guidelines of the German federal government for research assistants including vacation entitlement, with a possible contract range between 8 and 19 hours per week. Remote work (if you are not living in Saarbrücken) is possible after consultation (but you need to live in Germany).
- As a fast growing research institute, we are particularly interested in a long-term cooperation which may open up further career opportunities in the near future
How to apply
Please send us your CV and a description of three programming / computer projects you have done in the past. The description of projects should contain what your responsibility in the project was, which technical skills were required and which difficulties you encountered. Please add a link to the source code, if possible. In addition, add your public Github/Gitlab/Codeberg/etc. profiles to your CV, if you are active on these platforms. A motivation letter is not necessary and will not be read.
If you have any questions regarding your application please contact our Onboarding and Talent Management Team via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have task related questions please contact Rudolf Siegel: email@example.com.
No Questions? Then hit Apply now!!! :-)